Stretch generally occurs when the skin is stretched extensively in a short period of time or when the body grows faster than the skin. This to the breaking of elastic fibers under the skin surface and consequent stretch marks.
Stretch marks are especially common in women during pregnancy and puberty. It can also occur to anyone who has undergone rapid weight gain, it can be a hereditary condition, the prolonged or wrong use of corticosteroid medication can lead to stretch marks and even some underlying health conditions like Marfan syndrome can cause stretch marks. Whatever the reason may be, removing stretch marks is not easy.
However with patience and perseverance, the following 10 ways to get rid of stretch marks prove helpful.
- Olive oil is famous for treating stretch marks. Just rub olive oil on the stretch marks and with time, you see the stretch marks diminishing. You get better effects if you apply the oil immediately after a bath.
It is also possible to get rid of stretch marks on the breast by exfoliating the area using almond oil and raw sugar. Other oils like almond, castor, avocado and vitamin E oils also help eliminate stretch marks. If not the oil, you can also break vitamin E capsules and apply the oil on the stretch marks.
- Aloe Vera offers a quick remedy for stretch marks. Just mix aloe Vera gel with cod liver oil or vitamin E and apply to the stretched mark region.
- It is also possible to prevent pregnancy related stretch marks by massaging aroma oil or Vaseline intensive care cream on the stomach and body.
- Try applying lots of castor oil on the stretch marks, wrapping it with a plastic bag and placing a hot water bottle on it for half an hour and wash off.
- Try making and applying a lotion of virgin oil, aloe Vera gel and the contents of vitamin E and A capsules to the stretch marks. This mixture can be stored in the refrigerator once made, but has to be applied on the stretch marks every day. Make sure you shake the bottle before each application.
- As eggs are rich in protein, applying egg white on the skin helps reduce stretch marks.
- Cocoa butter has been extensively used for treating stretch marks. Just mix a cup of cocoa butter, 2 tsp. grated bees wax and 1 tbsp. vitamin E oil and heat the mixture till the wax in it melts. Then store and refrigerate the mixture. For speedy relief from stretch marks, add wheat germ oil and apricot kernel oil to the mixture and apply on the affected areas every day.
- Shea butter too is a popular beauty product as it is a high source of vitamin E and Vitamin A. Rubbing it on the skin twice a day helps treat stretch marks rather quickly and easily.
- As potato juice is a rich source of minerals and vitamins, it ensures the healthy growth and development of skin cells. All you have to do is cut a potato into a few inch slices and rub one piece gently on the stretch marks. It is important that the potato liquid or juice covers the stretch marks on your body and that you leave it to dry. Rinse off using lukewarm water.
- Lemon juice is very helpful in reducingthe visibility of stretch marks. Moreover as it is naturally acidic, it minimizes acne, skin injuries and scars. Just rub lemon juice on the stretch marks using a circulatory motion and after 10 minutes, rinse off using lukewarm water. For better effects, use a mixture of equal parts of lemon and cucumber juice.
Besides all these 10 methods for getting rid of stretch marks drinking 8 or more glasses of water a day helps protect you from health problems and minimizes stretch marks. Avoid drinking soda and minimize the consumption of coffee to prevent dehydration.
Moreover, the 10 remedies mentioned above are cheap and easily made and available at home. You just need to have patience to try out these remedies as you don’t get immediate results. Moreover, it is not necessary that all the treatment techniques work for everyone. It depends on the individual as while olive oil gives you quick results, others may find better and faster results through cocoa better.