If you lived through Hurricane Mathew and witnessed the massive power outage that people were subjected to, you need not anyone to explain why a backup generator is a must-have. These generators come in all sizes depending on the number of appliances you want to power. In this 21 century, our life basically runs on electricity. From the fridge to the security system, a short-lived power outage would mess us up to greater extents.
When buying a generator for home use, consider the following;
Portability- the powerhouse needs to be lightweight and also have other features like rollers to make maneuverability hassle-free.
Auto-start- for areas with regular power outages, this feature is quite important especially if you’ll be away for a better time.
Inverter technology- inverter generators are renowned for their sine power. This power is clean and offers quiet operations. It also does not heat your appliances.
Low Oil Shutoff- a generator that shuts off automatically once the oil reaches dangerous levels will offer you quite a longer life span.
These are most sought-after portable home generators this year
- 10. Briggs & Stratton 30545 P3000 3000-Watt Inverter Generator
- 9. DuroMax XP10000EH Portable Generator
- 8. Generac 5747 Gas Powered Portable Generator
- 7. Generac 5802, Gas Powered Portable Generator
- 6. Champion Power Equipment 42436 Portable Generator
- 5. Generac 5982 Gas-Powered Portable Generator
- 4. DuroStar DS4000S Gas Powered Portable Generator
- 3. Westinghouse WH7500E Portable Generator
- 2. DuroMax XP4400E 4-Cycle Gas Powered Generator
- 1. WEN 56352 Gas Powered Portable Generator
10. Briggs & Stratton 30545 P3000 3000-Watt Inverter Generator
- By: Briggs & Stratton
- Item Weight: 60 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 23.6 x 15.3 x 29.5 inches
Briggs and Stratton 30545 is a small easily portable generator measuring 23.6 x 15.3 x 29.5 and weighing 60 pounds. These dimensions make it extremely easy to carry in almost any vehicle’s trunk for tailgating, camping, and other on-the-go purposes. What catches your eyes, at first sight, is its unique deluxe design. It also boasts a computer-controlled technology that regulates the engine’s speed according to your power requirements. It also has 4 120-volts outlets, 1 120-volts 30 amp outlet, and a USB port for the USB charged devices.
- It has a stylish design
- It’s computer-controlled for efficiency
- It’s quite on the high-end
9. DuroMax XP10000EH Portable Generator
- By: DuroMax
- Item Weight: 265 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 34 x 27 x 27 inches
This is another easily portable and durable generator you should consider adding to your power backup arsenal. Perhaps the best thing about this unit is that it runs on either gasoline or liquid propane. This makes it convenient when gasoline decides to play hide and seek. Duromax XP10000EH is currently the only generator utilizing the 18-Horsepower, OHV Air Cooled Engine. This means that it can power both the heavy appliances and the simple load units together.
- Has a large engine
- Has more power
- It’s expensive
8. Generac 5747 Gas Powered Portable Generator
- By: Generac
- Item Weight: 250 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 31.5 x 25.5 x 28 inches
Why do you need a generator, for events, for backup in case of power outage, for heating and cooling, or for construction? Whatever the case, this Generac 5747’s 8,000 running watts, and 10,000 starting watts are all you need for enough lighting power for any purpose. This generator comes with a built-in battery for easy one-touch startups. Generac 5747 is fitted with a 0HVI engine that’s well-known for its long lifespan. It also shuts down automatically in case the oil level is low to prevent damaging the engine. Even better, it boasts an hour meter that tracks maintenance cycles to ensure that your generator remains in good condition for long.
- It has a longer life span
- It’s easy to use
- It’s noisy
7. Generac 5802, Gas Powered Portable Generator
- By: Generac
- Item Weight: 300 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 33 x 29.5 x 32 inches
Similar to its brother Generac 5747 reviewed above, Generac 5802 is a gas-powered unit that you can rely on to power both heavy load and light load appliances. However, this powerhouse delivers amazing 10000 running watts and 12500 starting watts which are enough for almost any household and some businesses. About portability, Generac 5802 has 2 never-flat heavy-duty tires and rubberized ergonomically designed handles. The handles fold and lock for compact storage. Moreover, all its XG Series power outlets are covered for added protection. It also uses OHVI engine for years of reliable power backup.
- It has a long lifespan
- It’s sturdily constructed
- It can’t be sold to California since it’s not CARB-Compliant
6. Champion Power Equipment 42436 Portable Generator
- By: Champion Power Equipment
- Item Weight: 61.7 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 14.8 x 14 x 17.7 inches
Are you on a tight budget yet you need to have a generator for power backup? Consider this Champion Power 42436. It goes for less than 200 bucks and is supported by a champ 2-year limited warranty and a free lifetime technical support. Though it won’t offer you enough power for multiple heavy load appliances, its 1500 starting and 1200 running watts are just enough for several household’s low power-demanding gadgets. It’s durable steel frame, and an 80cc engine will offer you several years of power backup.
- It has free lifetime technical support
- It’s incredibly affordable and offers 10 hours of power on full tank
- Has low power outage
5. Generac 5982 Gas-Powered Portable Generator
- By: Generac
- Item Weight: 115 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 21 x 22.5 x 23 inches
For any time that you need power and anywhere, Generac 5982 with its low cost but amazing power output should top your list. This is a CSA approved gas-powered powerhouse with 3250 starting watts and 3750 running watts. The all-terrain rollers and sturdy flip-up handle allow you to maneuver it easily from one place to the other.
- It’s easily affordable
- It has a large capacity steel tank
- The recoil starter is cheaply made
4. DuroStar DS4000S Gas Powered Portable Generator
- By: DuroStar
- Item Weight: 92.4 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 23 x 18 x 17.5 inches
If you don’t want to spend thousands of bucks but want more power than what Champion 42436 offers, DuroStar DS4000S has your back. It’s still within the 200-250 bucks price mark but with more power. What makes it more powerful than most of its competitors within its range is the 7.0 HP OHV engine that powers is. In addition, DuroStar has a rugged protective housing featuring heavy-duty steel frame. This housing has also been fully isolated from ultra quiet operations. Moreover, this generator has a large tank to hold 4 gallons of gas for 8 hours of power.
- It’s affordable
- It has quiet operations
- Oil needs to be changed after every 20 hours
3. Westinghouse WH7500E Portable Generator
- By: Westinghouse
- Item Weight: 201 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 26 x 27.5 x 28.75 inches
Are you on the market searching for a generator with a below 1000 bucks price tag? Stop and add this to the cart now. With 9000 watts of surge and 7500 starting watts, rest assured that you’re ready in case of any major power outage. Westinghouse WH7500E has a 6.6-gallon fuel tank that will power a houseful of appliances for 11 continuous hours. This generator is fitted with a 4-stroke OHV engine with a sturdy iron sleeve and an electric starter. Again, Westinghouse WH7500E requires minimal assembly and has plug-and-play operations.
- It has a 3-year limited warranty
- The manufacturer has superb customer care services
- It’s a bit pricier for a generator of its size
2. DuroMax XP4400E 4-Cycle Gas Powered Generator
- By: DuroMax
- Item Weight: 120 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 36 x 24 x 24 inches
If you have high power demands but little to spend on the high-end priced generators, this XP4400E will do you a lot of good. This is an EPA-Approved reliable powerhouse with a stunning 3500 watts of constant power and 4400 watts of peak power. DuroMax XP4400E offers 2 starting options; standard recoil and a one-push electric start. Though compact in design, this generator is enough to power a construction site with several critical power tools. It also sports a voltmeter to keep you posted on the power output. You’ll also like its durable all steel frame.
- It’s fairly priced
- It’s easily portable and storable
- It has poor packaging
1. WEN 56352 Gas Powered Portable Generator
- By: WEN
- Item Weight: 103.3 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 23 x 17 x 17 inches
Wen is a big name in electrical tools. It’s, therefore, not surprising that their 56352 model is our second best portable generator on this list. This is an all-purpose rugged powerhouse that you can also take to the national park, thanks to the onboard spark arrester and muffler for reduced noise. It features a flip-up handle and 2 all-terrain knobby tires that will never deflate. Amazingly, 4 hours of gas will take you for 11 hours at half load. WEN 56352 is powered by a 212cc engine with 3500 surging power and 3000 running watts.
- The manufacturer is readily available countrywide
- It’s safe for the parks
- It offers only one startup option; recoil